Everything you ever wanted to know about candles, and more besides!
You buy the candle, light it, enjoy the fragrance and then blow it out until next time. Yes?
No. Not if you want the best from your purchases; candles need a little TLC to obtain a decent hot throw or fragrance when in use, and also to prevent what may become a dangerous situation arising.
All of our Kandls are lovingly hand poured and scented using natural soy wax to provide you with hours of scented pleasure. Neither the wax, nor the fragrances have been tested on animals and are totally biodegradable. To keep them looking and working safely, follow the tips below to enjoy a better scent experience for longer.
Please remember, NEVER leave a lit candle unattended and keep well away from children and pets.
How to burn your candle
1. Light your candle in a well-ventilated room, away from draughts or fans, which can cause sooting or rapid, uneven burning.
2. Burn regular-sized candles for about two hours at a time. Burning for less time can cause the candle to 'tunnel', which leaves wax around edges. Burning for longer periods (over four hours) can cause wick migration.
3. Make sure you stop burning your candle when approximately 1cm of wax remains at the bottom.
About your wicks
1. Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings and matches, as debris in the wax can relight.
2. Centre and straighten the wick after blowing out the flame using a snuffer or by gently dipping the wick end into the wax and then straightening once extinguished. A candle which has been burning too long can cause wick migration. If you see a flaming wick getting close to the edge of the container, extinguish it and straighten the wick to prevent cracking or worse.
3. Long or crooked wicks can create high flames, smoking or sooting. Trimming the wick to 5mm before each lighting (when the wax is cool) is the easiest way to prevent this.
Storing your candles, tealights or melts
1. When your candle isn't in use, store in a cool dry place and cover with the lid,
aluminium foil, or in a melts cellophane or polypropylene bag to protect the quality wax from dust, which can dull its scent and cause problems during burn. Never use cling film or an ordinary plastic bag as this will absorbs the fragrance and ruin the candle or melts.
2. Condensation on the surface of a candle is a sign it has not been stored correctly or for too long, simply wipe this away with a paper towel before lighting.
3. Storing candles for too long can affect the scent, ensure you use your candle in a reasonable time to make the most of the beautiful fragrance.
4. You may notice what look like air bubbles on candles in clear glass jars. After the molten wax has been poured into a container and it cools down, it will slightly shrink, which can cause the wax to pull away very slightly from the edge. This gap is extremely small, however the glass creates the illusion of an air bubble, but once you light your candle and it warms back up, the bubbles should disappear.
Now the really interesting stuff!
All Kandls have warnings attached to the jar, tin or packet regarding any warnings and/or allergies, and a full list of ingredients for CLP (Classification, Labelling & Packaging) regulations, which you will need if someone has an allergic reaction to one of the contents. This is a legal requirement for each candle or melt sold in the U.K.
And last of all, once again please remember, NEVER leave a lit candle unattended and keep well away from children and pets - but most of all, enjoy your Kandls!
If you have any questions about candles, melts or their use and care,
please get in touch.